Saturday, December 10, 2011

Class Reflection

When I first scheduled this class i thought it was perfect for the career field that I would love to go in to, which is producing music. Taking a class that explains hwo to use a microphone, create sound, blend sound and use sound to my advantage... it all seemed perfect. 


Every prject given in this class, the different use of sounds, the range of sound from natural sound to voice to created warped sounds... I was able to experience it all in this class and through that I have a better understanding of sound in general. From project one to the last project, what I learned in the class always applied. 


Some projects were more enjoyable than others, not necessarily because they were hard but because of interest in the project. My three favorite was the soundwalk, the soundslide of Peter and lastly, the radio drama. In these projects I feel that I was given the opportunity to use what i learned on three different levels. The soundwalk was the novice aspect of the project, the getting used to hearing sounds and differentiating between them was the entrance phase in to understand sounds. Next, the soundslide project gave us a chance to provide a picture with the sound. being given the chance to have a picture makes gathering sound easier because the picture for the most part is the story and the sound if what carries that story. Lastly, the radio drama gave me the opportunity to use what I learned from the first two projects mentioned and come to my own conclusion about sound and the production of it. Like that of the first project, the radio drama relied on my ability to just listen and hear different sounds around me, like walking, clocks ticking, doors opening and small sounds like the wind.  In doing the first soundwalk project I was able to pick up on the miscellaneous sounds throughout the day and apply them to my radio drama. In comparison to the soundslide project, this radio drama relied on telling a story using sound... but this time around there were no pictures to carry it and I had to essentially create a picture through the use of voice, natural sound and created sound. 


Being given a wide range of how to use sound in different facets of production, I feel as though if I was ever given the chance to become a music producer I can apply all that I learned from this class to that career field. Using sound as an advantage and having to heavily rely on it makes the importance of sound that much greater. The soundwalk, soundslide and radio drama projects put everything in to perspective and even though there were miscellaneous projects in between, I feel as though these three really exude what the class is about and that is the production of sound and its influence and impact on  those who are experiencing the sound. I learned how to become a better listener to my environment and now I know how to hear things that others usually overlook and because of that I have a better appreciation for sound in general. 


I believe that this class and these projects shows how important sound is and without hearing something you can't fully understand the concept. For example, a picture can have multiple messages or give off different meaning but if sound is placed on that picture the meaning can change drastically and that is what I learned in this class this semester; the use of sound, the importance of sound and how sound impacts us all, I enjoyed myself very much. 


No comments:

Post a Comment